Amarin's REDUCE-IT Cardiovascular Outcomes Study of Vascepa to Continue as Planned at Recommendation of Independent Data Monitoring Committee
In accordance with the study protocol, this interim efficacy analysis was performed after adjudication of approximately 80% of the target 1,612 aggregate primary cardiovascular events occurred within the study. Preparations for a final efficacy analysis will be triggered by the onset of approximately 100% of the target aggregate number of primary cardiovascular events. Amarin anticipates that the onset of approximately 100% of events will likely occur in early 2018. Amarin is intentionally blinded to the interim analysis data and will remain blinded to results of the study until after the study is stopped and the database is locked at the final analysis.
The DMC's recommendation to continue as planned also reflects its review of all available safety data. In accordance with the study protocol and DMC charter, safety reviews have been performed
multiple times each year since REDUCE-IT began in
The review and recommendation of the DMC at this interim look were made independently. Neither Amarin nor the
"We are pleased that we are nearing completion of the REDUCE-IT study and thank the independent DMC members for their diligence in overseeing this important study," said
Residual cardiovascular risk in statin-treated patients
Cardiovascular disease remains the leading cause of death in
About Vascepa® (icosapent ethyl) capsules
Vascepa® (icosapent ethyl) capsules are a single-molecule prescription product consisting of the omega-3 acid commonly known as EPA in ethyl-ester form. Vascepa is not fish oil, but is derived from fish through a stringent and complex
FDA-Approved Indication and Usage
- Vascepa (icosapent ethyl) is indicated as an adjunct to diet to reduce triglyceride (TG) levels in adult patients with severe (≥500 mg/dL) hypertriglyceridemia.
- The effect of Vascepa on the risk for pancreatitis and cardiovascular mortality and morbidity in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia has not been determined.
Important Safety Information for Vascepa
- Vascepa is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity (e.g., anaphylactic reaction) to Vascepa or any of its components.
- Use with caution in patients with known hypersensitivity to fish and/or shellfish.
- The most common reported adverse reaction (incidence > 2% and greater than placebo) was arthralgia (2.3% for Vascepa, 1.0% for placebo). There was no reported adverse reaction > 3% and greater than placebo.
- Patients receiving treatment with Vascepa and other drugs affecting coagulation (e.g., anti-platelet agents) should be monitored periodically.
- In patients with hepatic impairment, monitor ALT and AST levels periodically during therapy.
- Patients should be advised to swallow Vascepa capsules whole; not to break open, crush, dissolve, or chew Vascepa.
- Adverse events and product complaints may be reported by calling 1-855-VASCEPA or the
FDAat 1-800- FDA-1088.
FULL VASCEPA PRESCRIBING INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.VASCEPA.COM.
Vascepa has been approved for use by the
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including expectations for continued event rates, interim data review, results and related timing and announcements with respect to Amarin's
REDUCE-IT cardiovascular outcomes study; expectations related to the final outcomes of the REDUCE-IT study and the anticipated successful completion of the REDUCE-IT study; and statements regarding the potential and therapeutic benefits of Vascepa. These forward-looking statements are not promises or guarantees and involve substantial risks and uncertainties. In particular, as disclosed in filings with the
Availability of other information about Amarin
Investors and others should note that we communicate with our investors and the public using our company website (www.amarincorp.com), our investor relations website (http://investor.amarincorp.com), including but not limited to investor presentations and investor FAQs, Securities and Exchange Commission filings, press releases, public conference calls and webcasts. The information that we post on these channels and websites could be deemed to be material information. As a result, we encourage investors, the media, and others interested in Amarin to review the information that we post on these channels, including our investor relations website, on a regular basis. This list of channels may be updated from time to time on our investor relations website and may include social media channels. The contents of our website or these channels, or any other website that may be accessed from our website or these channels, shall not be deemed incorporated by reference in any filing under the Securities Act of 1933.
1 AHA Heart and Stroke Statistics https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@adv/documents/downloadable/ucm_491543.pdf
3 Libby P. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005:46(7):1225-1228.
Amarin contact information: Investor Relations:
Elisabeth SchwartzInvestor Relations and Corporate Communications Amarin Corporation plcIn U.S.: +1 (908) 719-1315 firstname.lastname@example.org Lee M. SternTrout Group In U.S.: +1 (646) 378-2992 email@example.com Media Inquiries: Ovidio Torres Finn PartnersIn U.S.: +1 (312) 329 3911 Ovidio.firstname.lastname@example.org
News Provided by Acquire Media